Did you notice decreased sensitivity in limbs? If you suffer from polyneuropathy, you can feel a tingling or burning sensation, even pain. You may suffer from uncertainty while walking, muscle weakness and a wide range of other symptoms. Another characteristic symptom of this bothersome disease may be depletion of muscle mass on limbs.
Do not postpone an appointment with your physician. Manage your health issues in time. Would you like to manage polyneuropathy now? You can utilize our health advisory centre.
Characteristics of Polyneuropathy and its causes
Polyneuropathy is a varied group of peripheral nerve disorders. It usually consists of multiple system diseases which arise as a result of both internal and external factors.
The most frequent neuropathies are:
- acute a chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy,
- polyneuropathy connected to rheumatoid arthritis,
- diabetic neuropathy (in patients suffering from diabetes and neurovascular system disease),
- alcoholic neuropathy,
- Lyme disease neuropathy with painful manifestation in the musculoskeletal system,
- toxic polyneuropathy – as a result of e.g. benzene, carbon disulfide or lead intoxication,
- polyneuropathy as a result of ingesting neurotoxic medicaments (Nidrazid; after chemotherapy, etc.).
If a doctor suspects polyneuropathy, they perform a general medical examination, electromyography (EMG), laboratory tests and sometimes even biopsy of the nerve or muscle.
The cause of neuropathy cannot be found in 20 – 30% of cases even after testing at specialized clinical departments.
Polyneuropathy treatment – rid yourself of the issue
Treatment of polyneuropathy is based mainly on dealing with the disease that led to its development.
Diabetic polyneuropathy is treated by maintaining glucose levels within the normal range. Healthy diet is the main condition for keeping glucose levels under control and preventing further nerve damage.
Analgesics, antidepressants and other medicaments are administered to suppress pain and other symptoms.
There is great emphasis put on prevention of formation of defects on the lower limbs.
Rehabilitation is put in place in order to prevent depletion of muscle mass and other tissues.